Monday, April 23, 2007

Getting Rid of Default Keyring/nm-applet Message

I kept getting a message requesting me to type in my default keyring password for nm-applet whenever I logged into Feisty. To get rid of it, do the following which will log in the keyring password automatically:
1. Make sure the default keyring manager password is the same as the root password. If not, delete default.keyring from you home/.gnome2/keyrings/ directory. When you log into Feisty again, it will prompt you to make a new one. When it does, make it the same as your root login.
2. Download and install libpam-keyring using synaptic.
3. Bring up an editor for /etc/pam.d/gdm. For example, type the following into a terminal: sudo gedit /etc/pam.d/gdm
4. Add the following to the end of the file: @include common-pamkeyring
5. Save the gdm file and exit the editor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this helpful.. Thank you..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, it was useful :)

I did, thought, just delete *everything* from that directory and rebooted.

Think it was getting confused between two keyrings.